Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reflections

April was a crazy month. I got very far behind in my posts. Normally, I would be too anal (I refuse to use the PC phrasing of OCD, or overly anxious) to post something currently, without first posting by back log. But two important things happened today. Events that compelled me to post today.
The first thing was this morning, Demi's grandmother passed. Nanny Lil was a great lady. She lived a long live of 89 years. She was a very strong person and was the central stabilizing force of the family. I loved that she called me Chinny. I think it amused both of us. While we are all sad, in many ways her passing was a positive thing. Nanny Lil is no longer suffering. Demi is dealing with it very well. So are the boys really. It's funny. The boys never cease to surprise me. I knew they would be sad. But they have been through Nanny Hartwell (who lived with us for most of their lives) and Pop's passings. But the son that I expected to me the most emotional was not the one that ended up having the most blatant reaction. Caz got really quiet. He wanted to know when we would go to NY for the services. But Coco got real quiet and visibly upset. But we had a good talk and a good hug. Ten minutes later he was out playing with this friends. He still had his moments of sadness before bed. Caz did too. Overall, it all went better than could be expected.
-We will all miss you Nanny Lil-
The other moment that got to me today was picking up Caz from the bus. I got home early to get the kids off the bus and talk to them about Nanny Lil. Before I could say anything Caz says, "I got something for you today, Dad" -"What is it?" - He pulled a book out his bag and handed it to me. "I bought this for you because I know who much you like this series." - "Where did you get it?" - "I bought it at the book fair at school with my money. It was $25." - "I love the gift but you shouldn't have spent so much money on me." - "It's OK. I knew you'd like it."
I think it might be the best gift I have ever received. Later on in the night, Caz signed it - "To Dad, I love you always no matter what. I love being your son. I know you love this series and wanted you to have this. Love, your son Caz". What else could a Father ever ask for? Isn't this what fatherhood is all about? I think so.

No comments: