Monday, May 25, 2009

The Passing of a Matriarch

It took me a while to write and address this. Nanny Lil, the obvious matriarch of Demi's side of the family, passed away recently. It is sad, of course. We will miss her dearly. But she lived a good, long life. And at the end, she was no longer Nanny Lil. Nobody should endure not being themselves. But Nanny Lil, especially, was too strong and too wonderful to live like that. All families have issues. All families fight, or disagree, if you will. But no matter what, everyone could all agree on Nanny Lil. She loved us all, despite our faults. Or rather, faults and all. And those she loved, she loved unconditionally. She would protect those she loved with everything she had. Trust me. You wouldn't want to cross her and have to face her. I loved that she called me Chinny. She was always happy to see me. And I was always happy to sit, have a cup of coffee, and talk with her. We usually had some one on one time over the year. I would get up at my normal early hour, go get coffee and bagels, and sit at the kitchen table at Tess's (Demi's Mom) house. Nanny Lil would be the next up, if she wasn't already up went I went out. We would talk and have a bagel. We would catch up. We would talk politics. We would talk current events. I thoroughly enjoyed those times. And I will miss those times. But I have the memories to treasure for the rest of my time here.

No comments: