Thursday, December 2, 2010

LTAD

Tonight, I attended a very interesting lecture on youth sports in America by Bob Bigelow (former Boston Celtic and first round draft pick from MA). I cannot do the talk justice in one post, so you should really go here him speak, if you ever get a chance. He is really a dynamic speaker. His basic premise that USA youth sports are unique. The rest of the world practices Long Term Athletic Development. The basic premise is that you don't give up on an athlete. Kids develop at different times. He used a story about Michael Jordan, that most folks are familiar with, where MJ was cut from his high school basketball team. I actually thought about one of MJ's teammates, Dennis Rodman, about how he didn't grow until college. That is when he sprouted about a foot. But LTAD is not just about physical development. It is about mental development too.
I like to think that I coach using a lot of this. I make a concerted effort to coach to an age appropriate level. Kids learn differently at each age. So as a coach, I need to change each year. The kids get one year older each season. I need to change how I teach every season. I pay very close attention to what is being taught each year, and how the school teachers are teaching it.
It was very interesting from a parent perspective as well. He talked about how parents cheer, and in some cases, actively participate from the sidelines. So parents, not only coaches, should attend this lecture. It really puts youth sports in perspective and could help how youth sports exist today. As a coach, I can tell you, it's ugly. Some parents and coaches really get carried away. Attitudes do need to change.

No comments: