Friday, December 17, 2010

Road Trip Detour

This year's annual pilgrimage to the Island for XMas with Demi's side of the family could have really been a disaster. Actually, it was close to being over before it began. Last night, the house was in a bit of chaos when I got home. I was running later than normal, as it was the night of the annual company holiday party. Demi was being a good Samaritan and watching a roomful of kids for relatives of a friend that had had a death in the family. My niece, Daisy, was still here too. My brother was pulling in the driveway as I got home. Caz was helping Demi with the kids. But Coco was nowhere to be found. He was on the couch running a mild fever. We knew then he would not be going to school the today.
As I was packing the car for the road trip, Coco woke up and meandered down by me. He seemed to be perking up. And when he asked to play XBox, I figured he was on the mend. But when he went to have breakfast, he said he couldn't swallow. Demi walked in just then and called Dr. Bob. He is the best. He took us right in and did the strep test. When it came back positive, he got a prescription pronto. We got a dose into Coco as we left for NY. While Demi had Coco with Dr. Bob, I was picking up Caz from school. We divided and conquered. Coco was a champ. He never complained once. It took us 7 hours to make the 4 hour trip. He did his best to cover his mouth, wash his hands frequently, and keep to back seat. We let the family know about the strep but they had us come anyway. Crisis averted.

No comments: