Monday, February 20, 2012

Presidents' Day 2012

Today, we were That Family.  The one where you are out, some place public.  Some place, say like Patriot Place, the Hall.  And while you are there you see a bizarre family scene.  A scene where you say to yourself, "that family is nuts!" Of course we all have those.  And I do recall thinking that in places like Target, or Walmart, any restaurant, any family event, when I see other's in this predicament - "oh man, been there.  Done that."  Of course we may take it to the extreme.  You probably don't see many folks drive their Lizard King to the far end of the empty parking lot to run laps.  I guess I could argue and comfort myself that a lot of parents don't take the time to discipline their kids.  But at the time, Demi and I were losing our minds and I was pretty sure I was close to being locked up in some "facility" with a hug me all day jacket.  We kept our patience for 2 hours but after that mark, we crossed the Rubicon.  There was no going back.  This was no quick excursion into and out of the neutral zone.  Coco at least had the sense to clam up and sink back into the background.  But the Lizard King was in rare form.  He couldn't keep his mouth closed.  The rest of the day was cut short and we went home. No Quattro Formagio at Tavolino's.  No Eat & Play menu at Dave & Busters.  It was home for a quick lunch and yard work.  Carrying firewood into the garage log pile.  Splitting wood.  Picking up the yard.  Sorting the recycling.  Not fun for anyone but at least I got some chores accomplished with help.  No one ever said Parenting was easy.  There is no manual (which I tell the boys all the time).  You do the best you can.  You set rules.  You explain actions have consequences.  And then you follow through.  Time will tell if you get it right.

No comments: