Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nemo Blackout Day 1

Wow!  What a storm.  And it's still going.  We lost power at 8:15 PM last night.  Demi, Coco, and I had a nice quiet evening.  We lit candles on the main floor.  We each took a section of the couch, snuggled in, and read.  We called it an night around 10 or 10:30 PM.  I was hoping for a break in the action, in order to take the Giz out for her nightly trip to the woods.  No such luck.  We bundled up and fortunately, Gizmo was quick with her business.
     The wind was unbelievable.  Branches, snow, and ice were being whipped into the windows.  The wind actually woke me up in the middle of the night.  Around 3:30, I decide to check the house and make sure there was no damage.  I also wanted to stoke the stove.  We were going to need the heat with the power still out.  Who knew how long it would be before it was back on.  Honestly, I felt like it wouldn't be too bad.  We never lost power in the last few big storms, including Sandy.  I thought for sure that power outages wouldn't be noteworthy.  Boy, was I wrong.
     The snow continued all day.  However, I had to take one pass with the snow blower around noon.  The snow was supposed to stop around 1 pm.  But the snow drifts were already over the height of my snow blower.  By night time, there was enough to snow blow again.  It didn't take long after my first pass, for the ground to be covered again.
     The wood stove was crucial for drying my gear.  I went through 3 pairs of gloves and hats.  My old North Face shell seems to have lost it's water proofing.  I got blasted by snow and wind, but my back was soaked.  It was soaked from the inside and outside.  I was sweating up a storm as I shoveled, scraped, and snow-blowed. I felt like I was feeding that fire all day.  It was great to have.
     

No comments: