Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nemo Blackout Day 2

Today started out in blackness again.  It started early again too.  I rolled over on the couch at 2 AM and noticed the fire was low.  Really low.  There was one small lump of charcoal left.  I slowly made my way off the couch, trying not to wake the others.  Demi and the boys were sharing space on two blow up mattress on the floor.  We had all hunkered down the wood stove to try and keep warm for the night. I had filled the stove and banked it, figuring it would stay going for quite a while and I could try to get 5 or so hours of solid sleep.  Not so much.
     I revived the fire but exhausted my supply of newspaper in the process.  From there it was feeding the monster pine longs continuously for the rest of the night.  I used the bellows like there was a shortage of air.  I finally got an inferno going....just before dawn.  I felt like that move Day After Tomorrow, where Jake Gyllenhal and crew had to keep the fire going in order to stay alive and not freeze to death.  I was not really in such dire straights but being sleep deprived, I certainly didn't have perspective on my side.
     I had my earphones in, so I could try and get some kind of news.  The only station I could find offering any news was WBZ.  Thank goodness for that station.  Everything else around here was useless.  The local station, WATD, likely had issues with power.  But AM radio, used to offer much more in the way of new reporting.  All I could get was financial talk and religious shows other than WBZ.  Even then I had to wait until 5 AM.
     The prognosticators seemed to think it would still be a few more days before power was restored.  The boys and I had moved all the remaining wood from outside, into the garage.  I started to panic a bit.  I was not going to have enough to last 2 full days at this rate. I was burning around the clock.  The pine was burning fast.  So Demi called her boss, who has a firewood business on the side.  He told us to come on over.  My brother and I borrowed the old man's pick up.  It took us some time to get over there, since the back roads were still tricky to navigate.  We then did our lumberjack impersonations.  It was a cross between Ax Men and Rocky IV.  We moved some big logs out of snow in the forest, to some pretty heavy duty equipment.  When I got home to drop of my share of the wood, Demi and the boys were stacking wood.  the moved what they could from the garage, into the house in the den.  We need to dry that wood out by the fire.  They were like a well oiled machine.  Mass production.  Conveyor belt.  Well done.
     I was wiped out by the end.  When I was cooking dinner at around 7 PM, I thought for sure that I was going to be right after eating.  Just after I put the potatoes in the boiling water and the steaks on the grill, the lights came on.  I was so relieved.  Plans changes.  All I wanted at that point was a hot shower.  Best shower  ever.

No comments: