Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Indoor Heat

Caz had his first indoor track meet of the season tonight.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Of course, I was probably more engrossed with trying to get to the arena, rather than what events would be going on.
     All of their meets are at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Roxbury.  Nice timing actually, given the special on Reggie that just aired over Thanksgiving.  Sure, there is free parking.  But not all day.  So I can't park there on my way to work.  And by the time I get to my car in Quincy to drive back, I could miss his events.  The third option? Take public transportation.  The glamorous T.  Hey, beats walking.
     I actually got there just after the start of the meet.  It was a lot to take in.  A bit overwhelming actually.  There had to be at least 8 schools.  There were 4-5 events going on simultaneously.  I had to scan the crowd and do a walk around to find where Duxbury was sitting.  Fortunately with Caz's new height, I was able to pick him out of a crowd.  I am so happy that I went.  He ran his first ever event, the 55 meter race and won his heat.  He told me later that he was not in a Varsity heat, but I saw his time would have put him right there with his peers on Varsity.  He was really pumped about it too.  His buddy's came over to congratulate him and he was pumping his fist.  It was nice to see him excited about it.  It was nice to see that he surrounds himself with good kids to.  Kids who are supportive.
     His second race was fantastic too.  He ran the 300 meter.  I wasn't sure but had originally thought it was a 100 or 200, before he started.  He killed it.  He won by a lot.  He ran hard.  He ran well.  He had a bit of a tough finish, with the last 5 meters.  I thought he might hurl.  But he held it together.  As it turns out, he finished 3rd on his team, just a half second out of first for the team.
     I am really proud of him.  Not because he won his heats.  I am proud of him because he tried his hardest.  He ran as hard as he could.  That is all I ever ask of him.  He was so proud of himself.  I was thrilled to see that too.  What a great night.

No comments: