Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Forget Me Not

I took my new route to Caz's indoor track meet.  A quick jaunt through Chinatown.....after dark.....in zero degree weather.....but no mind.  Orange line out 5 stops.  Boom.  There.
     Walked in.  Found a place to sit.  Located my son.  Gave him money for dinner.  That was mistake on my part.  Yes, he needed funds.  But I should have waited until after he ran.  I waited 2 hrs in the stands to see him run the 300 again.
     Finally, the race came.  First heat goes.  Second heat goes.  Third, and so on.  No Caz.  WTF?  Did he get pulled from the race?  They do change on the kids on the fly all the time it seems.  Nope.  He was in the food court eating.  I could have throttled him.  Figuratively, of course.
     Well, at least there is the 4x200, right?  They almost blew that one too.  All the other teams are practicing hand-offs and Duxbury is still in the stands.  They finally figure out their race is up and who is running.  But...no baton.  They send Caz to get it.  That was a disaster.  Coach finally grabs it and the pre-race line-up is underway.  No practice.  Ice cold.  Caz had never touched a baton before.  What could go wrong?  They actually executed the passing of the baton very well.  It was hard to tell how Caz did, since they were still in staggered lanes at that point of the race.  They placed 4th out of 5 in the race.
     Did I mention even with the fall last meet, he still qualified for States?

No comments: