Monday, January 6, 2014

The Agony of Defeat

Caz qualified for today's invitational Freshmen/Sophomore indoor track meet.  In fact, it was the Red Auerbach Invitational held at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center.  Demi was excited to go see him run for the first time.  She had her new camera primed and ready to go.  Even Coco didn't take much coaxing to join us.
     Caz got up early and off to the bus quickly and efficiently.  That is not his forte, so that is saying something.  He had put in his spikes the night before.  The track only allows spikes on the weekends.
     We waited with anticipation for his first event, the 300 meter dash. Demi was set at the finish line with the camera.  His first pass by her was blur and caught her by surprise.  He was off to a great start.  He was crushing it again, leading the pack.  Just after the final turn, he was on a great pace for a personal best.  It was then I saw him stumble.  The stumble quickly turned into an uncontrolled spill.  He got up and finish though.  And still beat his previous time.  I am pretty sure I cursed out loud.  My heart sank.  I was hoping he was ok, but I felt so bad for him.  He seemed ok.  He apologized to the kids that he fell into and disrupted.  They were good sports and told him not to worry about it.
     We left him alone.  As much as we wanted to go see him, I think he needed his space more.  Some time passed before Demi went over.  He was banged up.  He had some road rash, and his head hurt.  But he was more cranky and upset then hurt.  Actually, we took that as a good sign.  I like that he's getting a competitive spirit.  Its a healthy level.  You need that in life, not just in sports.  Caz has not really had that to this point.  So I am encouraged.  Those that succeed, learn from set back.  They turn them into positives.  I hope it goes that way for Caz.

No comments: