Monday, January 21, 2013

Talking About Ray

I had to have a talk with Coco about Ray Lewis.  He was getting caught up in the media hype over his retirement and playing on the sentimentality of a Hall of Fame career coming to an end.  No argument that he was one of the best linebackers ever to play the game.  But Coco was only seeing one side of the story.  We have had many talks over the years about role models and choosing our "heroes".  I needed to make sure he could separate Ray's on the field play and his off the field behavior.  I didn't put exactly the same way as Mrs. Welker but hey, she wasn't wrong.  I am sure she apologized for Wes's and the team's benefit.  Otherwise, was she really off base?
     I didn't get too far into the specifics with Coco.  I was actually able to bring the discussion around to the Chris Herren talk on Decisions.  I can't say enough about that lecture.  I bought Unguarded, the ESPN documentary on Herren.  What a great piece.  Really well done.  It is important to talk to the kids about these things.

No comments: