Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Believe

I was torn among Journey quotes, a paraphrasing of a scout motto, or something appropriate. But I couldn't choose and honestly, I just don't have it in me. Although I think:



"I'm forever yours, faithfully" is appropriate. Red Sox Nation member for life.



I just finished reading Faithful by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King, in time for Opening Day. It was nice to reminisce about the 2004 Championship season that changed the lives of generations of die hard Sox fans. In parts it was a bit tedious with the game by game recaps. But the random thoughts, opinions, email banter, and raw emotion of the highs and lows the season brought were very entertaining. I would recommend it for those fanatical members of the Nation.

What really hit home for me was the July 31 diary entry of Stephen King just after he found out that Theo had traded Nomar. Although he was personally floored, he was more concerned about his 5 year old grandson who was watching the breaking news right in front of him. His grandson was confused, upset and hurt. But it all ended with a nonchalant statement; "I guess I like the Cubs now?" I still recall trying to explain to Caz that the Sox had traded his favorite player, Nomah!. It was always Nomah!, with a loud emphasis on the "ah", and never just Nomar. For a while before he could really form the word it was Nomie.

Kids don't know about trades or contracts. They are just young, innocent fans. And for Caz, that was the end of the innocence. But Caz and Coco remain loyal. They remain faithful. They are proud members of the Nation. And yes Hank, deny it all you want, the Nation does exist.

No comments: