Wednesday, March 5, 2008

PS - Marching

A bit of follow up. I mentioned at the tail end of my last post that Coco followed Randy Moss's stats. Statistics are an entertaining way to spend time with the boys and teach them some math at the same time. Caz definitely takes an interest, but Coco is fanatical and has been for some time. (WARNING: I am fully aware that some of the following can be construed as boasting. OK, so maybe I am a bit. Sue me.) He's been following pitch counts since he was two. SIDE NOTE: He's calling pitches before the umpire these days. Last season Coco stayed very current with Big Papi's batting average and RBI total. The boys and I had a discussion about On Base Percentage. It was our own little Moneyball round table. We had a discussion about Kevin Youkilis, the Greek God of Walks, and his strength of not making outs. I didn't feel up to discussing why Youk's Moneyball nickname was incorrect. I take these stat sessions as an opportunity to do math with the. Example: If you bat 9 times and get 3 hits, what is your batting average? So we do a little division. If a football team is leading 35-14, how many touchdowns does the losing team have to score to tie it up. You get addition and multiplication. Coco likes to point out that TD are only worth 6, so I need to clearly state TD and the point after. The little bugger. Catches me on a technicality will he? I will get him. And his little dog too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.