Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tasting Life

Kids' tastes change all the time while they are growing up. I noticed this in my boys this past weekend. Coco threw me for a loop this past Saturday morning. You have to understand that this boy does not like whip cream, CoolWhip, or cream cheese, in any way shape or form. At least until now. This past Saturday he blew me away by asking for both butter and cream cheese on his bagel. I asked him again to make sure I had heard him right. Then I had him taste a bit of cream cheese just to be on the safe side. He devoured the bagel with his requested toppings. Both boys proceeded to throw me for a loop during Sunday night's dinner. Coco is still on his asparagus kick, so nothing new there. But Demi cooked a new chicken piccata recipe. The sauce was had a very strong lemon taste. It was good but I thought surely it was too much for the boys. Demi served their chicken plain but gave them a small bowl with the sauce to try. After one dip each, they both requested the sauce be put all over their chicken. And they cleaned their plates. It's funny. Kids will test you. They will frustrate you by liking some food one day but not the next. Coco recently went throw a span where he swore he didn't like PB&J's anymore. I think that was more a test of wills but he certainly tried to put his foot down. Demi is great. She keeps getting them to try something new all the time. Or to retry something they have turned their noses up at in the past, but have not had for a while. And on this fine St. Patrick's Day, during a traditional boiled dinner the boys tried the cabbage again. Coco ended up asking for seconds. Keep plugging away Dads. It will all work out in the end.

No comments: