Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rough Draft

Caz brought home some school papers recently. Among them was a paragraph project. Each student was supposed to create a paragraph that showed a sequence of events. The student was instructed to write a first, rough draft and have another student correct it (while the teacher was going over the proper parameters). The student would write another draft, incorporating the corrections by the editor (the other student). This process would go on a few rounds, until at last the student had crafted a final draft. Well, after reading about the project, I thought to myself, "Cool. That should be good for Caz. He likes to write." (Caz wrote his first book at 2 - Batman in History - which was a short guide to Batman's past) As I turned over the instruction page of the project, I notice Caz's topic - The Super Bowl. There it was. Blow by blow. A whole recap of the Patriots last game. Quarter by quarter. The Patriots with the game in hand with 3 minutes left in the game. I can't go on from there. You know the rest. (I am still partially convinced that this part of the game was faked by a conspiracy of international consortiums - sort of like the moon landing....). I went from hopeful intrigue to crushing heartbreak in the blink of an eye. Who says the written word is dead? This child's essay just about drove a stake through my heart.

No comments: