Monday, March 31, 2008

Come On Ride the Train

OK, Train. Tractor. Pool. Pond. Pond would be good for you. Natural spring water. It's a bit milestone in a young boy's life when he is able to mow the lawn for the first time. We're not there quite yet. But we are making progress. I know there are probably 5 year olds driving tractors in Kansas or Iowa, but we don't get a lot of that in Duxbury. This past weekend was a good time to get the dead grass off the lawn and try to repair the gaps in it. So I borrowed Dad's thatcher attachment (you know he has every tool and gizmo under the sun) for the ride on tractor/mower. After a couple of laps around the front yard, I decided to see if Caz had any interest in driving. I thought he would jump at the chance. We had been having a rough morning and this was my attempt to get back on the right track. He was nervous at first. He actually sat in my lap (which isn't as easy on the tractor as when he was 2) for the first two lap. I showed him the brake and how to stop the mower. I only had it in second gear. I told him that I could run to him if he got into any trouble. After the first lap, he stopped and looked at me. I gave him the sign to keep going. After the second, he stopped and looked at me again. But this time he gave me the sign that he wanted to keep going. So he proceeded to finish the project. I know it's not like we were plowing under the back 40 to make a baseball field. Never the less, I was proud of him. After the mower phase was done, he jumped right into raking up the dead grass without asking. Back on the right track.

No comments: